California State University - Los Angeles (CSULA), offer a total of 10 paid Undergraduate Research Experiences (URE) for STEM Pathways participants at the CSULA campus during the Winter 2018 intercession in the following areas:
- Mechanical Engineering: Materials Science/3D Printing - Modelling the 3-D printing extrusion process to optimize 3-D printing parameters for a particular part design
- Computer Science: Programming of 3D printer software and model slicing algorithms
- Hydrogen Station: Research on the operation, maintenance, and monitoring of an on-campus Hydrogen fueling station.
- Mathematics: Open projects ranging from math education to modelling. Exact project will depend on applicant experience.
- Technology: Production manufacturing topics include 3-D modelling, and best practices for application of 3-D printing and laser cutting for manufacturing.
- Civil Engineering: Impact of pollution on the environment
The period of activity with be : Jan 8th 2018 to Jan 26th 2016 (Total 48 hours of work to be completed during 9am-5pm - M-Fr (Sat)) . The exact times will depend on mentor availability. In addition, applications are expected to spend 12 hours on preparing a conference presentation on the work that was performed. LACC students will work under the supervision of a CSULA faculty member, a senior graduate student, and the Principal Investigator of the grant at CSULA (Dr. Mauricio Castillo). A stipend of $1200 will be awarded to LACC students completing the undergraduate research experience activity. No particular experience is required to apply for the URE positions.
If you are interested in participating in the STEM Pathways URE program at CSULA, please contact Prof. Jayesh Bhakta via email indicating your top two choices of the subject areas listed above by Dec 18th 2017. Final selection of candidates will be made by the STEM Pathways Steering Committee based on the information contained in the applicant's STEM Pathways application. Students will be notified of the committee decision via email by 12/22/2017. I look forward to receiving your emails.