California State Student Aid Programs

The state of California through the California Student Aid Commission and the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office provides funds to eligible students attending community colleges and universities in the form of grants, work study, and other sources of financial aid. To access these student aid resources, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the DREAM Act Application. The major state student aid programs offered at Los Angeles City College are briefly described below:

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG), formerly known as the Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW), waives enrollment fees for qualified students for the entire school year. Students may receive a waiver for any number of units, with no minimum. You may qualify if you have some financial need, receive Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (AFDC/TANF), Supplemental Security Income/SSP, or General Assistance and those who meet certain income standards.

The CCPG is not a cash award and only waives the enrollment fees. Students are responsible to pay any fees not covered by other financial aid resources at the time of registration to avoid being dropped for non-payment.  California residents and students with AB 540 status may apply for a CCPG by completing a FAFSA or DREAM applications. The CCPG begins in the summer semester of each academic year and must be renewed every year.

Eligibility Criteria
  • Students must meet the California residency requirements as determined by the Admissions and Records Office (including students that meet the requirements to be exempt from paying nonresident tuition e.g., students referred to as AB540 eligible).
  • You’ve been determined a California resident homeless youth by the Financial Aid Office,
  • Have sufficient unmet need or meet income and household size standards, or
  • Receive Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (AFDC/TANF), Supplemental Security Income/SSP, or General Assistance
  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and have a cumulative completion rate of more than 50 percent of the coursework you attempt.
Three ways to apply:
  • Complete and submit the FAFSA or the California Dream Act application. By completing the application for financial aid, in addition to the fee waiver, you may also qualify for additional financial aid resources (Pell Grant, Cal Grant, Work Study, etc.) to help with your educational costs.
  • Complete the CCPG Form online through the Financial Aid Portal
  • Complete the CCPG Application form and submit it in person at the Financial Aid Office or via email at @email
Loss of Eligibility

Students may lose eligibility for the California College Promise Grant if:

  • Fail to maintain at least a GPA of 2.0 in two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters), and/or
  • Complete less than 50% of your coursework in two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters)

Students will be notified within 30 days of the end of each term if they are being placed on Academic probation. After the second consecutive term of probation, the student may lose eligibility for the fee waiver at their next registration opportunity.

If a student loses eligibility for the California College Promise Grant (BOG Fee Waiver), there are a few ways to have it reinstated:

  • Improve the GPA or Course Completion measures to meet the academic and progress standards.
  • Successful appeal through the Admissions and Records Office regarding extenuating circumstances.
  • Not attending the LACCD for two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters)

Please note that foster youth and former foster youth (age 24 years and younger) are not subject to loss of the California College Promise Grant (BOG Fee Waiver) under these regulations. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the Financial Aid Office or the Admissions and Records Office.

The Cal Grant is a California-specific financial aid allocation that does not need to be paid back. Cal Grant applicants must apply using the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application by the deadline and meet all eligibility, financial, and minimum GPA requirements of either program. Grants are for students attending Universities of California, California State Universities or California Community Colleges, or qualifying independent and career colleges or technical schools in California.

There are three kinds of Cal Grants — A, B and C. The eligibility will be based on the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application responses, the verified Cal Grant GPA, the type of California colleges listed on the application and whether the student is a recent high school graduate.

Cal Grant A

Provides grant funds to help pay for tuition/fees at qualifying institutions offering baccalaureate degree programs. If you received a Cal Grant A but choose to attend a California Community College first, your award will be held in reserve for up to three years until you transfer to a four year college.

For the 2023-2024  academic year, this Cal Grant covers system-wide fees up to $5,742 at CSU's and $12,570 at UC institutions. If you are attending a private college, it pays up to $9,220 toward tuition and fees. To get this Cal Grant, students need to be working toward a two-year or four-year degree.

Cal Grant B

Most first-year students receive an allowance of up to $1,648 for books and living expenses. After the freshman year, Cal Grant B also helps pay tuition and fees in the same amount as a Cal Grant A. For a Cal Grant B, your coursework must be for at least one academic year.

Cal Grant C

Awards help pay for tuition and training costs at occupational or career technical schools. This $1094 award is for books, tools and equipment. You may also receive up to an additional $3,009 for tuition at a school other than a California Community College. To qualify, you must enroll in a vocational program that is at least four months long at a California Community College, private college, or a career technical school. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of your program.

Visit this link for additional information on the Cal Grant program:

The Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG) is administered by the CA Community College Chancellor's Office. This is a financial aid program for Cal Grant B and C recipients attending a California Community College full-time (12 units or more).

The Student Success Completion Grant awards a maximum of $1,298 per semester for eligible students who enroll and attend 12 through 14.99 units per term, and a maximum of $4,000 per semester for eligible students who enroll and attend 15 units or more per term. For former or current Foster Youth students, the SSCG award is $5,250 per term for 12 or more units.

Funding is limited and not all students may qualify.

The California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth (Chafee Grant) awards up to $5,000 a year to eligible foster youth. The Chafee Grant may be used at any eligible California college or university, or career or technical school. Students attending schools in other states may also qualify. A student’s receipt of a Chafee Grant award shall not exceed five years (whether or not consecutive).

Find more information at

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for the Chafee Grant, a student must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • Not have reached your 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year, and be a current or former foster youth who was a dependent or ward of the court, living a in out-of-home foster care placement, between the ages of 16 and 18, or
  • Be a youth who was placed in out-of-home care by a tribe or tribal organization between the ages of 16-18.

All foster care eligibility is verified by the California Department of Social Services (CDSS). 

Application Process

To be considered for a California Chafee Grant, you must complete the following:

  • Submit a FAFSA online or the CA Dream Act Application (CADAA). (Dream Act Id is required to submit a Chafee Grant Application)
  • Submit the California Chafee Grant Application online

Find more information following this link:

The California Dream Act Service Incentive Grant (DSIG) Program encourages California Dream Act Applicant (CADAA) students with a Cal Grant A award that met Cal Grant B eligibility or a Cal Grant B award to perform community or volunteer service.  The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) will award up to $4,500 per academic year (up to $2,250 per semester or up to $1,500 per quarter) to 1,667 eligible students. The grant will be available to the student for up to 8 semesters or up to 12 quarters while they have an active Cal Grant A or B award. Students must also meet Satisfactory Academic Progress and complete any necessary verification for their Cal Grant award.

Eligible students must apply annually, attend a qualifying institution, have sufficient unmet financial need, and complete service hours in that academic year (July 1 through June 30). Semester students shall perform service hours in 150-hour increments and quarter students shall complete service hours in 100-hour increments. Students can volunteer with any of the organization(s) on the List of Service Organizations or with any organization not on the list if it meets the criteria for a qualifying service organization.

Find the most common questions and answers in this link:

If you are an active member in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia you may be eligible for a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve your skills, competencies, and abilities.

To learn more, visit the California Military Department GI Bill Award Program (CMD GI Bill) website.

The Learning-Aligned Employment Program (LAEP) offers eligible students the opportunity to earn money to help defray their educational costs while gaining education-aligned, career-related employment. Eligible students are from an underrepresented background and meet all the following criteria:

  • Be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) financial aid eligible units in the LACCD.
  • California resident
  • Satisfactory academic progress in a program leading to a degree or certificate.
  • Demonstrated financial need as determined by the Financial Aid office at your Home School.
  • Eligibility to work in the United States

Priority will be given to eligible students who are first-generation college students, current/former foster youth, homeless, or at risk of being homeless. Further priority will be given to eligible students majoring in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) discipline.

For more information and to obtain an application: Go to Commission Programs at