Student Services Garden

Federal Student Aid Programs

The Federal Government provides funds for students attending colleges, career schools, and universities in the form of grants and student loans. To access these student aid resources, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The major federal student aid programs offered at Los Angeles City College are briefly described below:

Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor's, graduate, or professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a postbaccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.) You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment upon completion of a period of incarceration for a forcible or nonforcible sexual offense. .

Award Amounts:

Students may receive a maximum of $6,895 in Pell Grant in the 2022-2023 academic year when enrolled in at least 12 units.
Students may receive a maximum of $7,395 in Pell Grant in the 2023-2024 academic year when enrolled in at least 12 units.

Lifetime eligibility:

A student may receive a Pell Grant for no more than 12 full-time semesters or its equivalent.

Find more information on the Pell Grant following this link:

Students who receive Federal Pell Grants and have the most financial need will receive FSEOG first. The FSEOG does not need to be repaid. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units at Los Angeles City College to qualify.

Award Amounts:

The maximum award at Los Angeles City College is $500.

Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal Work-Study:

  • It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
  • It is available to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students with financial need.
  • It is administered by schools participating in the Federal Work-Study Program. Check with your school's financial aid office to find out if your school participates.
  • Since this is a high demand program and positions are limited meeting certain deadlines is a requirement. Students who complete their FAFSA prior to May 1st of every year and have indicated interest in the federal work study program on their FAFSA will be invited to complete the next step to become work study candidates.
  • Students must be enrolled and maintain a minimum of 6 units to qualify.

Click here for more information on how to participate in the Federal Work Study Program, as a student and as an employer.

You may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if,

  • You are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution, but
  • Meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements, and
  • Your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, and
  • You were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death.

The TEACH Grant Program provides grants to students who are completing or plan to complete course work needed to begin a career in teaching.

As a condition for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve in which you agree (among other requirements) to teach in a high-need field:

  • At an elementary school, secondary school, or educational service agency that serves students from low-income families
  • For at least four complete academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment in) the course of study for which you received the grant.

IMPORTANT: If you do not complete your service obligation, all TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education, with interest charged from the date the TEACH Grant was disbursed (paid to you or on your behalf).

For more information on these Federal Grant Programs, please visit the following link:

The U.S. Department of Education has two federal student loan programs:

  • The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program is the largest federal student loan program. Under this program, the U.S. Department of Education is your lender. There are four types of Direct Loans available:
    • Direct Subsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need to help cover the costs of higher education at a college or career school.
    • Direct Unsubsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, but in this case, the student does not have to demonstrate financial need to be eligible for the loan.
    • Direct PLUS Loans are loans made to graduate or professional students and parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid.
    • Direct Consolidation Loans allow you to combine all of your eligible federal student loans into a single loan with a single loan servicer.

Do your homework before taking out any student loan. Everything that you need to know about loans is at your fingertips in the 2023-2024 LACC Loan Guide.