Student Filming

Frequently Asked Questions


Los Angeles has extensive MTA bus lines and to a lesser extent a train/subway system with a stop conveniently at the college. Los Angeles covers a large area so you may consider utilizing an automobile.

LACC does not have dorms, but there is plenty of housing in Los Angeles. Single apartments start at about $1000 per month. Prices can be much higher depending upon the location and size.

Visit the Discover Los Angeles web site, presented by the LA Tourism and Convention Board.


Los Angeles City College, a California public, tax-supported community college, is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (3402 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA 95403; (707) 569-9177.) This Commission is an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Commission on Recognition of Post-Secondary Accreditation and the United States Department of Education.

Since we are a publicly funded community college, tuition costs are relatively low. For more details, view the Business Office Fees page.

Financial aid is available to qualified residents of the United States. See Financial Aid or contact the Financial Aid Office (323) 953-4000 ext. 2010International students are not eligible.

The college accepts applications all year long. New and returning students can register for the coming semester. See the LACC Calendar for important dates. Late Registration will be during the first two weeks of the new semester. However, most instructors will not accept students enrolling after the first week. Please see further information on our list of classes

Yes, contact the International Students Center for special services and information. They will register and enroll you in LACC as well. Phone (323) 953-4000 ext. 2470

Please view the Current Class Schedule.

Los Angeles City College is in Hollywood, near Vermont Ave. and Melrose Ave. (855 North Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90029). The Cinema-TV Department is located in the Communications Center on the north end of the 40-acre campus.

View a Map of the Los Angeles City College campus.


LACC has an internationally recognized reputation as a comprehensive world-class training program. With the low enrollment fee, you can use your money for your film and television projects instead of costly tuition. You will have completed projects that you can show potential employers.

This is where there's the most film and television activity. The majority of U.S. film and television production is done in Southern California. You will have more opportunities for internships, networking, and contact with the industry than you will have anywhere else. We offer a two-year AA, Transfer AS-T degrees and/or two year certificate program for each discipline. Many students get both the AA degree and the certificate. We offer shorter specialized Skills Certificates as well.

The AA degree we offer is equivalent to the first two years of a four-year college. But LACC differs from most four-year schools because we offer hands-on production classes immediately. Most four year schools don't start hands-on production until the third (Junior) year. Los Angeles City College does not offer a post-graduate degree such as a PhD, MA or MFA. For these degrees, you should contact USC, UCLA or other universities that might offer them.

Yes, you can take just one class if you wish. However, you must meet the prerequisite requirements for the particular class that you plan to take. You need not continue in the program after that class is completed. You may waive the prerequisite requirement if you have taken an equivalent course elsewhere. You can find the prerequisite requirements waiver here.

You earn the Cinema Certificate, for example, with the completion of 33 units or eleven courses (ten Cinema and one Law). The AA degree is earned with the completion of 60 units (approximately 20 courses) which include not only Cinema, but general education classes as well. For Plan B, the most common route used to get an AA degree in Cinema or Television, students take 36 units of Cinema or Cinema/Television as well as 24 units of other required courses. Both the AA degree and the Cinema, Television, or Film-Video Certificates are California State recognized and will appear on your transcript. See the LACC College Catalog for further information.

If you are specializing in a particular area you may want to consider our short-term Skills Certificates. These Skills Certificates generally take one to three semesters, depending upon the particular skill. You will receive an official certificate upon completion, but it will not be listed in your transcript. Please see the Certificates and Skills Certificates page for further information.

Yes. As long as you take the required classes, you are eligible for any of the certificates we offer.

Yes. Having a college degree does not prevent you from taking classes in Cinema-Television. In fact, many of our students have degrees, but want to study a new field or brush up on their skills. Many students with film degrees from other institutions take hands-on production classes with us that were unavailable to them at their previous school. You do not need a college degree to earn a certificate

If you do not have a college degree, we always recommend the AA degree. Statistics show that on the average, AA degree holders earn 180% more money than high school graduates. If you already have an AA or BA degree, a certificate may be sufficient.

If you are a full-time student, we suggest four classes with a total of 12 units, although you are allowed to take up to 18 units. According to the catalog, a 15 unit load is equal to at least a 50-hour work week. If you are a part-time student, we strongly suggest that you consider your available time before you attempt a full load. The college officially advises that you take no more than two classes per semester if you have a full-time job, although we find many students take full loads along with full-time jobs. It's totally up to you. A "full-time student" is defined as a student who is enrolled in 12 or more grade units. Los Angeles City College defines a "part-time student" as one who is enrolled in six to eleven units.

Yes, you can begin your classes in the Cinema-TV Department at any of these times. The beginning courses are offered both in-person and online during the Fall and Spring. Nearly every class we have is offered both during the Fall and Spring semesters. Many courses, however, are offered only during the evening in the Spring and day in the Fall (or vice versa). Summer and Winter 5-week course offerings vary but are always offered only in the day and are very limited. See the class schedules for details.

Yes, you may be able to do so. Certain prerequisites may be waived, especially the first semester classes if you have taken equivalent film classes at other schools, or in certain cases, equivalent experience in the industry. A Pre/Co-requisite Challenge Petition form is available from the Student Assistance Center, the Cinema-Television Department Chair's Office, or online. Simply follow the instructions on the form and return it to the Department Chair with the requested documentation. A faculty committee will examine your petition and make a determination based on the substantiating material you send. You will be notified by email.

Yes, and we suggest you do. Learning skills in both fields makes you more versatile. We have a Cinema-Video Production Certificate and a Beginning Cinema and Television Production Skills Certificates for that purpose.

Yes, many do. Usually, they transfer to UCLA , CSUN, CSULA, CSULB, USC, AFI or others in the area. While many film programs are excellent, you should always research them carefully before considering a transfer. Hands-on production training at some institutions is very limited. At others, the training may be very similar to the LACC program. Private colleges and training programs are generally very costly. Avoid any school that guarantees job placement or high-paid employment when you graduate. For more information about transferring, go to the LACC Transfer Center.

We offer a special AS-T degree for transfering, that guarantees a seat at the CSU school in your thrid year, and can be used to transfer to many others. While many or all of the credits will transfer, almost all four-year schools require that you start again with the beginning film or television classes, although a few courses may be accepted from LACC. Four-year schools generally don't offer any film production classes until the junior (third) year.

Yes, and many do very well, although it's a tough business. But success depends upon your personal abilities, training, talent, work ethic, personality, and passion. Some students start their own businesses and others work for established companies. Most often, students from film and television schools begin their careers with entry level jobs, but their student experience is a vital factor that employers consider. If the employee does well in the new job, there's an excellent chance for advancement. When looking for a training school, always avoid any school that guarantees job placement or well-paid employment when you graduate.

Yes, we have a very active Cooperative Education program where you can receive credit by working in the industry along with attending LACC Cinema-Television classes. We constantly receive requests for interns...many more than we can fill. We send out email blasts each week to our students about internship and job possibilities. Some internships develop into paying jobs. Cooperative Education Work Experience rules and regulations states: Cooperative Education students must be enrolled in a minimum of 7 units (including Coop Ed units) which must be completed at LACC by the end of the semester. For more information regarding internship credit at LACC, please contact Juliana Medina at @email. Also, take a look at the website.

Life at LACC

Learn more about the Cinema/TV program at LACC by following our Student Blogger Carmen!

Course Descriptions

Academic Programs: Cinema / TV
College Catalog
Class Schedules
Calendar of Classes & Events
List of Certificates and Degrees in Entertainment

Cinema Television Department


Cinema Television Department
Los Angeles City College
Communications Building (map)
855 N Vermont Ave
Los Angeles CA 90029


Jen Vaughn
Department Chair
Associate Professor of Cinema
Email: @email
Phone: (323) 953-4000 ext. 2631