Students in College Campus


New Arrivals Checklist

Before registering for your classes, there are mandatory steps for you to complete to ensure that you are on the right path. Read the checklist below and follow the steps!

All new students must complete the LACC Online Orientation to receive early registration. We recommend that you complete the online orientation before your arrival in the U.S.

  • Please login to your Student Portal at
  • Select "Login" in the top right corner and then SIS Portal
  • Follow the instructions, watch all the videos, and take the quizzes to receive full credit

*If English is your second language, our college's English/ESL and Counseling departments highly recommend that you take the ESL guided self-placement test at LACC to determine your starting level before your registration for classes. 

Please visit the Assessment Center's Website HERE for more information.

Visit our International Academic Counselors on the ISP Express Counseling lobby during the operational hours: 

  • Monday: 9:00am - 11:00am
  • Tuesday: 9:00am - 11:00am 
  • Wednesday 1:00pm - 3:00pm 
  • Thursday: 1:00pm - 3:00pm 

To speak with a counselor, click, ISP EXPRESS COUNSELING


Course Evaluation

Coursework from U.S. Regionally Accredited Institutions

Students who wish to have college credit evaluated from other United States regionally accredited colleges and universities need to have an official transcript sent directly from the issuing institution to Los Angeles City College (LACC).

Coursework from Institutions Outside the U.S.

Students who wish to have college credit reviewed from institutions of higher education outside the United States must have their academic records evaluated course by course (comprehensive evaluation) by a CTC-approved evaluation agency prior to meeting with a counselor. The official evaluation must be sent directly from the issuing agency to LACC.

Coursework from non-U.S. regionally accredited institutions will NOT satisfy general education (GE) requirements for English Composition, U.S. History/Government as well as university transfer GE requirements. The transferability of international courses will be determined by the transfer institution.

Meeting with An Academic Counselor

Once you have been admitted to LACC International, you can schedule an appointment with a counselor for transcript evaluation. If needed, your counselor may request that you provide a course description or syllabus for the course(s) being evaluated. The college does not pre-evaluate transcripts prior to admission. Please note that LACC counselors can only evaluate your transcripts for LACC degrees and certificates. 

Attend the virtual Pre-Arrival Virtual Meeting prior to attending LACC. This virtual meeting will cover:

  • Meet with our Academic Counselors and learn how to register for classes.
  • How to use Canvas and the SIS Portal
  • How to find housing
  • Q&A with our Student Ambassador

These virtual meetings are held in December (Spring semester), April (Summer semester), July (Spring semester)

The Counseling Orientation is required for all incoming students to attend. This meeting is virtual and will cover:

(Spring Semester), May (Summer Semester), August (Fall Semester)

The F1 Advising Orientation is required for all incoming students to attend. This orientation is in person and on the campus of LACC, it will cover:

  • F1 Rules and Regulation
  • International Student Check-in
  • Health Insurance Overview
  • Additional Counseling Support
  • English Self-Assessment
  • Campus Resource Tour

The F1 Advising Orientation is held in January (Spring Semester), May (Summer Semester), August (Fall Semester)

You are required to enroll in the Counseling 022/College Success Seminar class (1 unit) designed for F-1 visa international students during your first semester at LACC if this is your first time attending a U.S. college/university. Students who have previously attended a U.S. college or university and completed at least one semester at the institution are exempt from this requirement. If you have previously attended a language school (e.g. Kaplan) but not a U.S. college or university, you are NOT exempt from this requirement.