LACC Sculpture Next to a Tree

Frequently Asked Questions

Admission Question

International students must submit the online application and also submit all the original, supplemental documents to the International Student Program (ISP) office by mail before the application deadline. Your application will be processed once the College receives ALL documents. Please check the step-by-step instructions on our "How to Apply" page for more information.

No. Student is responsible for payment of tuition once the student registers for classes after completing the admission process. Students can check their payment deadline and pay fees using the on-line Student Information System. If tuition is covered by a scholarship program or third party agency and that entity is unable to cover expenses at any time, the student is responsible for payment of all outstanding fees due.

Yes. You are still required to take one of the approved English proficiency exams and meet the minimum score to enroll at LACC.

Yes. Verification of high school graduation is part of the admission requirement. If you have already graduated with a college/university degree, you must also state why you wish to study at LACC that offers courses below the academic level that you have already completed. For more information about required documents, please visit our "How to Apply" page.

No. Transfer students who are out of status (e.g. terminated or expired I-20 form) will not be considered for admission to LACC. Applicants must be maintaining status in order to be eligible for admission.

Please arrive at and report to LACC's ISP office no later than the "Program Start Date" listed on the first page of your I-20. Failure to do so may result in cancellation of your admission to LACC.

F-1 Visa and I-20 Questions

All U.S. visas are issued by the United States State Department at an Embassy or Consulate of the United States. These facilities are located outside of the United States in all countries with which this government has diplomatic relations. The college does not issue any visas. However, the college does issue the I-20 which is one of the documents required to apply for an F-1 Visa. For the locations of US Embassies or Consulates, visit the US Embassy website. For more information about F-1 Student Visas, visit the U.S. Department of State website.

The I-20 Form is called the “Certificate of Eligibility.” This form is issued from the college to the United States government to state that your qualifications meet all standards for admission. The student must have an I-20 to apply for a student (F-1) visa.

The I-20 gives you permission to attend a specific school. The F-1 visa gives you permission to enter the United States to attend that school. Please be aware of the expiration dates of your I-20 and F-1 visa.

You must apply and receive acceptance to the college. If you meet all admissions requirements, the college will issue an I-20.

Yes, however, you must have completed at least 12 units and must be currently enrolled in 12 units or more with good academic standing. You also need a prior permission from an immigration advisor at ISP to work on campus.

Off-campus employment for F-1 students is restricted by the U.S. government. Thus, F-1 visa students who are interested in working off-campus must first meet with an immigration advisor to discuss their eligibility. Please do not accept any off-campus employment without a prior authorization. Not following this procedure could result in termination of your I-20 and possibly deportation.

Yes, you may - however, you must have completed at least two consecutive full-time semesters, and you must be completing an Associate Degree or Certificate of Achievement at LACC. Post-completion OPT allows eligible students to work at a job that is related to their major field of study for up to a total of 12 months after graduation. The job can be located anywhere within the United States.

You can check out the following website as an external resource: here.

Academic Questions

Yes, if the U.S. college/university that you previously attended was a regionally accredited institution. For more information, please see our international counselor.

Yes, but you must have your foreign transcripts evaluated by one of the LACCD-recognized agencies that are authorized to evaluate foreign/international transcripts. You can check the list of approved agencies. Then, you must submit the evaluation results to a counselor or the Admissions Office and petition to request credit. After your petition and transcripts have been evaluated, you will be notified of the outcome.

LACC offers more than 80 vocational certificates, including Certificates of Achievement and Skills Certificates. To earn a certificate, you must complete required major courses and the number of units required varies. For the current list of vocational certificates offered at LACC, please click here.

General Questions

LACC is a regionally-accredited community college that offers various Associate Degree programs, including Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT), as well as vocational certificates. Many of LACC students successfully complete Associate Degrees/Certificates and/or transfer to four-year universities, such as UC's (UCLA, Berkley, Irvine, etc.), CSU's (Cal Poly, Northridge, Long Beach, etc.), and private universities (USC, Loyola Marymount, and Pepperdine). Students can transfer to private universities in as little as one year, and to UCs and CSUs in as little as two years. Students can complete the equivalent of the 1st and 2nd year at LACC and complete the 3rd and 4th year at the university to earn a Bachelor’s Degree. LACC is a highly diverse community reflecting the greater Los Angeles area and located near many famous landmarks including Hollywood.

In short, you are required to complete a minimum of 12 units per semester with a passing grade (summer/winter intersessions are not required), to pay your tuition and fees immediately, to notify the International Student Program of any changes to your status (e.g. change of phone number, address, email, academic progress, enrollment, etc.), to meet with a counselor every semester to ensure academic progress, and maintain all F-1 Visa requirements. Enrollment below 12 units at LACC is permitted in limited circumstances with prior written approval by the International Student Program.

F-1 Visa students with any of the nine (9) Los Angeles Community College District campuses, including LACC, are required to purchase the district mandated medical insurance policy. There are no waivers for the LACCD insurance policy (LACCD Board Rule 2309.30). Students are automatically billed for health insurance. If used correctly, it can cover 100% of medical expenses in case of accident and illness (certain exceptions may apply).

LACC is located in the heart of Los Angeles near Hollywood. Naturally, LACC's neighbors include world-renowned museums, cultural institutions, and music/sport/movie entertainment venues. In addition, you will be able to experience the rich and diverse cultures of Los Angeles through various historic landmarks, restaurants, natural parks, and much more!

Please note that the contents of the college catalog including academic programs and requirements/curricula are subject to change without a prior notice. The cost comparisons above are data retrieved for the specified year and are subject to change without prior notice.

No, we do not provide housing accommodations. To assist you in securing a place to stay while studying in Los Angeles, here are a few housing options and contact information. Please note that LACC provides general information regarding housing accommodations for the purpose of assisting students only. The college does not assume any responsibilities for the condition, suitability, or reliability of the resources listed above, nor does it assume accountability or liability for any agreement and contracts into which students enter with them.